If you have an abundance of basil, make your own pesto to go into these stuffed chicken breasts. Or, try a spinach pesto in them. They would also be great garnished with chopped fresh basil or parsley.
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup (about 1 ounce) fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- Mushroom Sauce, White Sauce, or prepared Alfredo sauce
- Diced tomatoes for garnish
Beat the egg in a shallow bowl.
Combine the bread crumbs and shredded cheese in a food processor with the parsley. Pulse a few times, until blended and somewhat fine.
Spread about 1 tablespoon of pesto on each chicken breast and roll up. Dip the chicken rolls gently into the beaten egg to coat then coat thoroughly with the bread crumb mixture.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cooked through.
Meanwhile make Mushroom Sauce or White Sauce or heat the prepared Alfredo sauce. Spoon a few tablespoons of sauce over the chicken rolls before serving. Sprinkle with diced tomato if desired.