- 8 ounces elbow macaroni or small shells
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 to 4 ounces smoked gouda cheese, shredded or cut in small pieces
- pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, optional
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 to 2 teaspoons butter, melted
In a saucepan over medium low heat, melt butter; add flour. Cook, stirring, until flour mixture is well blended and bubbly. Gradually stir in chicken broth and cream. Stir in cheese until melted and smooth. Add pepper, to taste, along with parsley, if using. Cook, stirring, until thickened. Add the chicken and vegetables; cook for about 1 minute longer.
Combine the sauce with cooked and drained macaroni; pour into a 2-quart casserole. Toss bread crumbs with melted butter and sprinkle over the casserole. Bake at 350° for about 25 minutes, until bubbly and browned.
Serves 4 to 6.
You Might Also Like
- Chicken Tetrazzini With Noodles
- Launa's Chicken & Rice Casserole
- Southern Chicken and Noodle Casserole
- Dottie's Zucchini, Chicken, and Rice Casserole
- Chicken and Biscuit Casserole