Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yield: Serves 8
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and minced
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 to 10 corn tortillas, sliced in 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese or Cheddar Jack cheese blend
In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Saute the chopped onion and bell pepper until softened. Add the minced garlic and saute for 1 minute longer. Add the cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soups, tomatoes with green chiles, oregano, cumin, chili powder, and the black pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring, for 5 to 6 minutes.
Arrange about one-third of the tortilla strips in the baking dish. Top with about one-third of the chicken and about one-third (about 2 cups) of the sauce mixture. Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese over the sauce layer. Repeat layers of the tortillas, chicken, cheese, and sauce two more times, ending with the cheese.
Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Remove from the oven and let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
Serves 8 to 10.
Homemade Chicken and Biscuits
Who says homemade must be difficult? This chicken and biscuits recipe is a cinch to prepare and bake, and it makes a super meal for any night of the week. Use leftover cooked chicken or use a purchased rotisserie chicken in this dish. Add a salad or fresh sliced tomatoes for a hearty, satisfying dinner.
Easy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
Cooked chicken and frozen chopped broccoli are combined with seasonings and condensed soup in this easy one-dish meal.
Chicken and Cheddar Casserole With Macaroni
Top this tasty chicken and pasta casserole with French fried onion rings or buttered bread crumbs for an excellent everyday meal. Feel free to use a rotisserie chicken to make this easy dish.