- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast halves, cut in small cubes
- 6 to 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning or a seasoned salt blend
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup half-and-half or whole milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup natural shredded Parmesan cheese, divided, about 3 ounces
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 package frozen artichoke quarters or halves, cooked, or 1 can (about 15 ounces), drained
- paprika, optional
Cook penne pasta in boiling salted water following package directions. Drain in a colander, rinse, and set aside.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add chicken, mushrooms, and Creole seasoning. Cook until chicken is cooked through and mushrooms are lightly browned. Remove the chicken and mushroom mixture to a bowl and set aside.
Melt the butter in the same skillet and stir in garlic. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Blend flour into the butter mixture until smooth and bubbly. Stir in milk and chicken broth. Cook, stirring, until thickened. Add 1 1/2 cups of the Mozzarella cheese and about half of the Parmesan cheese and cook until melted. Stir in the chicken and mushroom mixture and the artichokes. Taste and add salt and pepper, as desired.
Combine the sauce and pasta; transfer to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheeses and sprinkle lightly with paprika.
Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until lightly browned and bubbly.
More Chicken Casserole Recipes
Homemade Chicken and Biscuits
Potluck Chicken and Macaroni Bake
Chicken and Rice Casserole With Vegetables
Chicken Wild Rice Casserole
Easy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
Casserole Recipe Index
Chicken Recipe Index