- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked al dente, drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- chili powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup tomatillo salsa verde
- 6 to 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup chunky salsa, divided
- 10 to 12 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
In a medium saucepan, heat butter over medium-low heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, until bubbly. Add the milk and tomatillo salsa and cook, stirring, until thickened. Stir in the green onions, cilantro, and cheese. Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed.
Heat oven to 350°.
In a 9x13x3-inch baking pan, spread about half of the salsa. Lay 3 lasagna noodles side-by-side over the salsa layer. Top the lasagna noodles with half of the spinach, half of the cooked chicken, and half of the diced tomatoes. Spread with about 1 cup of the cheese sauce mixture. Repeat with 3 more noodles, the remaining spinach, the remaining chicken, and the remaining tomatoes. Spread with another 1 cup of the cheese sauce mixture. Top with the remaining noodles, then spread with the remaining chunky salsa and the remaining cheese sauce mixture.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer.
* To slice a chicken breast half into two cutlets, place a hand on top of the chicken breast half and slice horizontally from the thick end to the thin end.