Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme or marjoram
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots, cooked just until tender
- 1/2 cup soft fine bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and thyme and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the chicken broth and milk, cooking and stirring until thickened and smooth. Add the pepper, taste, and add salt, as needed. Stir in the chicken and set aside.
Spread the cooked rice in the baking dish, then sprinkle with the cooked peas and carrots. Spoon the chicken mixture over the vegetable layer. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the chicken layer.
Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and toss with the bread crumbs until the crumbs are thoroughly coated. Sprinkle over the cheese.
Bake the casserole for 20 to 25 minutes, until hot and bubbly and lightly browned.