Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 28 minutes
Yield: Makes 4 Sandwiches
- canola oil for frying
- 2 boneless chicken breast halves, about 8 ounces each, or 4 thin sliced chicken breast cutlets
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, such as Frank's or Texas Pete
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- dash ground thyme
- Sriracha Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce, or to taste
- 4 sandwich rolls, split, lightly buttered, and toasted
- lettuce, pickles, tomatoes, and other toppings, as desired
Put about 1/2 inch of oil in a large deep skillet. Heat to 350° F
Slice the chicken breasts in half crosswise to make 4 equal sized cutlets.
Put the buttermilk and hot sauce in a shallow wide bowl.
Combine the flour, pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, sage, and thyme in a bowl. Blend well.
Dip a chicken cutlet in the flour mixture, turning to coat lightly. Next dip the cutlet in the buttermilk and hot sauce mixture, turning to coat both sides. Again dip in the flour mixture to coat thoroughly. Repeat with the remaining chicken cutlets.
Put the chicken cutlets in the hot oil and fry for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Meanwhile, combine the mayonnaise and Sriracha sauce, if using. Blend well.
Transfer the cooked chicken pieces to a cooling rack set in a pan or paper towels to drain. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
Arrange chicken on toasted buns with lettuce slices, pickles, and desired toppings, along with Sriracha mayonnaise or sauce of your choice.
Makes 4 sandwiches.
You Might Also Like
This easy, great tasting sandwiches are made with thinned chicken breast halves sauteed with a little onion. The chicken is arranged on toasted bread then broiled with a topping of shredded Cheddar cheese and bacon.
These chicken strips make an excellent everyday meal, or make them for tailgating, a picnic, or a game day gathering. Serve these spicy seasoned chicken strips with Chipotle Mayonnaise, Buffalo Aioli, or a blue cheese or ranch dressing.
Serve these tasty chicken strips with barbecue sauce, ranch dressing, or sweet and sour sauce for dipping.