This delicious chicken soup has wonderful flavor of curry powder and other spices, along with tomatoes, apples, and diced vegetables.
- 1 to 1 1/4 pounds boneless chicken breast or tenders
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced, about 1 cup
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mace or nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons lime juice or lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons long grain rice, optional
Rinse chicken and pat dry; cut into small cubes. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add chicken, onion, carrot, celery, bell pepper, and apple. Sauté, stirring, until onion is tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in flour until well incorporated. Add remaining ingredients, except rice. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes. If desired, add rice about 20 minutes before done.
Serves 6 to 8.
Chicken Noodle Soup, Slow Cooker
Chicken Mushroom Soup
Creamy Chicken Curry Soup
Classic Chicken Gumbo
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup