Curry powder flavor varies from one brand to another, so adjust the amount to suit your taste.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: Serves 6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced or sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder, or to suit your taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- hot cooked rice
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrots. Saute for about 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and saute for about 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, lentils, curry powder, cumin, coriander, and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the diced chicken, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes longer, or until the lentils are tender. Stir in the coconut milk, brown sugar, and cilantro. Heat through (do not boil) and serve in bowls over hot cooked rice.
- Serves 6.
Creamy Chicken Curry Soup
This soup is quick and easy to prepare, and the flavor is wonderful. This is a nice soup to serve for lunch with sandwiches, or serve it with crusty bread and a salad.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
This top rated soup is made with a variety of Mexican style seasonings, along with tortilla strips, cheese, and tomatoes. Take this soup along to a special occasion dinner or potluck.
Spicy Chicken and Rice Soup
This tasty chicken soup is spiced with cayenne and jalapeno peppers. It includes brown rice, spinach, and tomatoes.
Chicken and Asparagus Chowder
This delicious chicken chowder is especially nice in the spring with fresh seasonal asparagus, but frozen asparagus could be used as well.
Harvest Chicken Chowder
This soup is made with both diced cooked chicken and chicken apple sausage, along with Cheddar cheese, corn, potatoes, and a little apple cider.
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
This is a quick and easy chicken noodle soup recipe, and it's hearty enough for a family meal. Serve this soup for lunch or dinner, along with biscuits or crusty bread and a tossed salad.