This chicken chili is especially nice on a cold fall or winter evening, but could certainly be enjoyed at any time of the year. Serve the stew with freshly baked cornbread and a simple salad for a delicious and easy family meal.
The stew is made with cubed boneless chicken breasts or tenderloin, which cook quickly. The stew
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 37 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts or chicken tenderloins, washed and cubed
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 cans Great Northern beans (16 oz each) drained and rinsed well
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed, or use fresh
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream, for serving
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, for ganish
Heat olive oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. When oil is very hot, add onion and garlic; saute until onion begins to brown, Add cubed chicken and brown on all sides; add chopped jalapeno, coriander, cumin, crushed tomatoes and beans.
Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes; add lime juice and stir in the corn kernels.
Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 10 minutes longer; serve with sour cream, chopped red onion and chopped cilantro.
Serve with cornmeal and a salad for a hearty fall or winter meal.