This is a simple and tasty brunch or main dish casserole, made with mild green chile peppers, eggs, and cheese.
Use a shredded Mexican cheese blend or taco blend for more heat and spice.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 6 slices white bread
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chiles, drained
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried whole oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
Place bread in a lightly buttered 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
Sprinkle with Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses; top with green chiles.
Whisk together the eggs and remaining ingredients; pour over cheese. Cover and refrigerate 8 to 10 hours. Remove from refrigerator; let stand 30 minutes. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 50 minutes. Serve immediately. Casserole will puff up while baking and then settle as it cools.
Serve with salsa, sour cream, or guacamole.
Makes about 6 to 8 servings.
You Might Also Like