- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/3 cup onion, finely minced
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 10 long red chiles or 1/2 cup pure ground red chile
- 2 cups water
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. flour (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. salt (use less if you use tomato sauce, as it is salty)
- 2 fresh tomatos, pureed or 1/2 to 1 can tomato sauce
2. In a toaster oven or in a skillet, brown the flour a little.
3. Place oil in saucepan and saute onion. When transparent, add garlic and saute for one minute. Add flour to mixture and stir well for 1 minute. Add chile puree and cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add reserved cooking water plus extra water to thin if necessary. Add salt and tomato or tomato sauce, if desired. Simmer for at least 10 minutes, or while you prepare the other ingredients for enchiladas.
Will keep in refrigerator for 1 week or may be frozen.