- 1 pound coarsely ground beef
- 1 pound lean pork shoulder, ground
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 3 tablespoons chili powder, medium to hot
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 12 ounces V-8® vegetable juice
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup beer
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 can chopped green chiles, (3-4 ounce)
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried leaf oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) small red beans, drained and rinsed
- salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal, mixed with 3 tablespoons warm water, optional
In a large kettle or dutch oven, brown beef and pork until no longer pink. Add onion, celery, chili powder, cumin, tomatoes, vegetable juice, beef broth, beer, bay leaves, garlic, green chilies, bell pepper, oregano and pepper.
Bring to a simmer and cover. Cook for 3 to 4 hours or until tender, stirring frequently and adding water if necessary.
Add beans, if using, and salt, to taste. If too much liquid, stir in cornmeal mixture to thicken a bit.
Serves 10 to 12.