- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour, sifted before measuring
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa, unsweetened
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- butterscotch, white chocolate, or chocolate chips, optional
Cream shortening, butter and sugar; beat in egg. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla. Into another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa. Stir into the first batter. Stir in walnuts and/or chips if using. Chill for an hour; drop by teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake at 350° for 8 to 12 minutes, or until no imprint remains when lightly touched with finger.
Makes about 3 to 4 dozen cookies, depending on additions.
You Might Also Like