- 1 cup soft butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red candied cherries
- confectioners' sugar icing, thin
- flaked or shredded coconut (tinted, if desired)
Makes about 3 1/2 dozen.
To tint coconut, put coconut in a plastic storage bag. Add a few drops of food coloring and shake well until coconut is evenly tinted. If using paste color, thin a dab with a few drops of water first.
For thin icing, mix about 1 1/2 cups of confectioners' sugar with 2 tablespoons of milk. Add a little more milk to thin more, if necessary.