- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring or enough for desired color
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
Set aside half of the cookie dough. Into remaining dough in bowl, knead in red food coloring and peppermint extract until well blended.
Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, using hands, take 1 teaspoonful of plain dough and roll into a 4-inch rope. Repeat, using tinted dough. Place the ropes side-by-side and gently twist together. Pinch ends lightly to seal. Curve one end to form candy cane. Move cookie to ungreased baking sheets with a spatula. Repeat with remaining dough.
Bake cookies at 375° for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned around edges. Remove to racks with a spatula; let cool. Store in tightly covered container for up to 1 week. Makes about 4 dozen candy cane cookies.