- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sifted cake flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Whipped topping or sweetened whipped cream
- 1 small can Mandarin orange slices, drained
- flaked coconut
In a large mixing bowl, combine oil, egg yolks, water, grated orange zest, vanilla, and 1/2 cup coconut.
Add sifted cake flour, sugar, baking powder. Beat mixture for about 30 seconds at low speed of electric hand mixer.
In a separate mixing bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar and salt until stiff peaks form. Fold into first mixture gently but thoroughly.
Pour batter into an ungreased square 8x8x2-inch baking pan. Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes. Cool upside down for 1 hour.
Loosen from pan and split horizontally into 2 layers. Fill and top with whipped cream.
Decorate with orange slices and sprinkle with more coconut.
You Might Also Like