Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter (5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup peach, strawberry, or pineapple preserves
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Into a medium bowl, sift together 2 cups of flour, the granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in 1/3 cup butter with pastry blender to make a fine crumbly mixture. Add egg and milk; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
Spoon batter into a generously buttered 9-inch square pan. Spoon both preserves over the batter, then swirl through the batter with a knife. Mix topping ingredients with fork or fingers until crumbly and sprinkle evenly over batter.
Bake at 400° for 25 to 30 minutes, until done. Cut into squares and serve while still warm.
Makes about 9 squares.