Take a look at the large picture of this kale recipe.
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 13 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- 1 pound kale, large stems removed, chopped, cooked (or use frozen chopped kale)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped purple onion
- 1 medium clove garlic, pressed
- 1 or 2 hot peppers, minced, or 1 heaping tablespoon Portuguese crushed red peppers from a jar*
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- pepper, to taste
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; cook onion until just tender. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add crushed red peppers, kale, and vinegar; cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer. Add chopped tomato, salt, and pepper; heat through.
Serves 4 to 6.
* Portuguese style wet crushed hot red peppers might be found in the ethnic or Spanish section. I found Pastene in my area, but if you can't find the crushed peppers, use any fresh hot chile pepper, finely chopped.