- 1/2 pound bacon
- 3 cups chopped onions
- salt and pepper
- dash of Louisiana hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle of Dixie Beer
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 6 pounds greens, such as mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, kale, or spinach; cleaned and stemmed
2. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the beer, vinegar, soy sauce, and molasses. Stir in the greens, a third at a time, pressing the greens down as they start to wilt. Cook the greens, uncovered for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
3. Mound the greens in the center of the platter. Spoon the sauce over the top and serve.
Note: These are great served with meat around the greens. Pork chops are a good choice -- see recipe for Deluxe Pork Chops on my website.
Yield: 8 servings
Hope you try them and like them fixed this way.
Shared by Sandy
Winona's Turnip Greens
How To Cook Southern-style Greens
Greens Casserole with Mozzarella Cheese
Red Potatoes and Mustard Greens
Beef with Greens and Red Potatoes
Collard Greens with Tomatoes
Basic Southern Style Greens
Sheila's Three Mixed Greens
Black Skillet Beef with Greens
Sandy's Southern Cooked Greens
Back to Greens Recipes and Article
Turnip and Rutabaga Recipes