- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper, to taste
In a heavy saucepan combine applesauce, ketchup, brown sugar, lemon juice, paprika, garlic powder, and cinnamon; bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low.
Cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 to 5 minutes.
Turn heat to low and continue to cook and stir for about 5 minutes.
Cook without stirring for 15 minutes over very low heat, uncovered (I recommend a splatter screen). Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
Keep hot to use as a basting sauce or refrigerate to use later.