- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet or yellow onion
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 cup skim or low-fat milk
- 1 egg white or a reconstituted powder egg white
Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat; add sweet onions and sauté, stirring, until light golden brown, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk the milk, egg white and cooked onions together. Stir into the dry ingredients, stirring just until blended.
Spread batter in the prepared pan. Bake until the cornbread's sides begin to pull away from the pan, about 20 minutes. Cool before loosening the sides and turning out of pan.
Makes 6 servings.