Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk (or use buttermilk powder with water as directed to make 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small can (approximately 8 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped bell pepper (red and green both)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno pepper, optional
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
In a large mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and the baking soda. Stir to blend. In another bowl, combine the beaten eggs, buttermilk with oil, corn, onion, chopped pepper(s), and shredded cheese. Blend into the dry ingredients until moistened. Pour into a greased 9-inch square baking pan*.
Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cornbread is browned.
*For a crispier crust, heat the greased pan before adding batter.
You Might Also Like
This is a buttermilk skillet cornbread with cream-style corn, jalapeno peppers, and cheese. It's moist and delicious!
This version is made with whole kernel corn, along with buttermilk and butter.
This tasty cornbread includes corn with peppers, shredded cheese, and pickled jalapeno pepper rings.