Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- Vegetable oil for the pan
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons sugar, optional
- Dash ground chipotle chile pepper or cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican blend of cheeses, Cheddar Jack, or sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup canned corn kernels, optional
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, soda, salt, sugar, chipotle or cayenne pepper, chopped jalapeno peppers, cheese, and corn kernels.
Heat the skillet or pan in the oven or on the stovetop.
Whisk together the sour cream, milk, egg, and melted butter. Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Spread in the hot greased skillet or baking pan.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until set and lightly browned around the edges. Cool in the pan on a rack; cut into squares or wedges.
More Cornbread and Corn Muffins Recipes
Creole Corn Muffins
Mexican Cornbread III
Mexican Cornbread II
Corn Custard with Jalapeno Peppers
Crockpot Scalloped Corn with Jalapeno Peppers
Cornbread Casserole with Ground Beef
More Cornbread Recipes
Bread Machine Recipes
Quick Bread Recipes