- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, about 4 ounces
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can (approx. 15 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (11 to 15 ounces) Mexican-style corn with peppers, drained
- 1 tablespoon Dijon or your favorite prepared mustard
- 1 1/2 cups fresh finely ground bread crumbs, divided
Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until onions are just tender, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in flour until well blended. Stir in salt, pepper, and milk and continue cooking, stirring, until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted.
In a mixing bowl, beat eggs. Stir in cream-style and Mexican-style corn, mustard, and 1 cup of the bread crumbs. Combine the cheese mixture with the corn mixture. Spoon into prepared baking dish.
Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and toss with remaining 1/2 cup of bread crumbs. Sprinkle buttered crumbs over the corn casserole and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until firm in center.
Serves 6 to 8.
You Might Also Like