- 1 beef brisket, about 3 to 4 pounds (not corned beef)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large carrots, cut into pieces about 3 inches in length
- 3 large celery stalks, cut into pieces about 3 inches in length
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, cored and cut in 1 1/2-inch chunks, or 1 cup diced canned tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley sprigs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 medium red-skinned potatoes, quartered, about 1 1/2 pounds
Place brisket in shallow 3 1/2-quart baking dish. Arrange carrots, celery, onion, tomato, and parsley sprigs around brisket.
In 1 cup liquid measure, mix flour with 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 cup water. Pour flour mixture into skillet, stirring to loosen any brown bits from the bottom of skillet.
Pour skillet juices over brisket and vegetables. Cover tightly and bake for 2 hours.
Add potatoes to casserole, sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and
bake, covered, 30 minutes longer or until potatoes and brisket are
Serves 8 to 10.