Large Photo of Corned Beef Strata
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 (10-oz) package frozen spinach, thawed, excess moisture squeezed out
- 1 1/2 cups diced corned beef
- pinch grated or ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups cubed French or Italian bread, or use a light rye bread
- 2 cups shredded mild Cheddar cheese, or a Cheddar and Monterey Jack combination
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard or spicy mustard
Cut bread into 1-inch cubes. Sprinkle about a third of the bread cubes over the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch baking dish or 3-quart shallow casserole. Sprinkle about 1/3 of the spinach mixture over the bread cubes, then sprinkle about 1/3 of the cheese over the spinach mixture. Repeat the layers 2 more times.
In a bowl, whisk the milk, eggs, and mustard, along with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pour over the casserole. Pat the top all over to submerge the bread. Cover with foil and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
Remove the strata from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 25 minutes.
Heat oven to 350°.
Bake the strata, uncovered, for 45 to 55 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Serves 6 to 8.