- 2 Cornish game hens, (about 1 1/2 lbs each)
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange peel, grated
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate, thawed, undiluted
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- oil or non-stick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- fresh orange wedges, optional
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 teaspoon cold water
Place game hens breast side down on a cutting board and cut in half along backbone. Remove skin and trim excess fat.
In a small microwave-safe dish, combine orange peel, lemon juice, orange juice concentrate, soy sauce, honey, garlic, onion powder, and thyme. Bring to boiling point in microwave oven; set aside.
Lightly grease a baking dish or spray with cooking spray.
Divide chopped onion into 4 portions in baking dish; place hens bone side down on onions.
Pour orange juice mixture over hens.
Bake hens at 350° for 45 minutes, basting every 10 to 15 minutes with cooking juices. If they brown too quickly, cover them loosely with aluminum foil.
When hens are done, remove from baking dish, onions and all, to warm dinner plates.
If desired, garnish with orange slices. Skim fat off juices in baking dish. If desired, thicken pan juices with a teaspoon of cornstarch mixed with 1 teaspoon of cold water. Serve juices on the side. Serve with hot cooked rice and green vegetable.
More Cornish Hens
Cornish Hens with Mushrooms
Glazed Cornish Hens
Stuffed Cornish Hens
Honey Glazed Cornish Hens
Crockpot Orange Cornish Hens
Cornish Hens Basque, Slow Cooker
Index: Cornish Hen Recipes
Chicken Recipe Index