This is an easy, basic lima bean dish with ham, onion, and seasonings. These are delicious with cornbread or serve as part of a big meal.
Cook Time: 7 hours
Total Time: 7 hours
- 1 pound dried baby lima beans
- 2 quarts water for soaking
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 meaty ham bone plus leftover diced ham, as desired
- 3 to 4 cups water, to cover
- 1 teaspoon Cajun or Creole seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- dash cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
Soak the lima beans overnight. Drain and put lima beans in the slow cooker insert. Add 3 to 4 cups of fresh water just to cover the beans and stir in the chopped onions and add the ham bone and ham. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours. Add the Creole seasoning, and black and cayenne peppers. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours, or until very tender.