A flavorful chicken lasagna recipe from your slow cooker. Serve this great tasting chicken lasagna with a salad and crusty Italian bread.
- 2 large chicken breast halves, boneless
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped, or 1 to 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 to 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 6 ounces fresh mushrooms, thickly sliced, or 1 4 to 8 ounce can
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar and American cheese mixture
- 1 can "light" cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 package (1 ounce) dry chicken gravy mix
- 3/4 cup reserved broth
In a 2-quart saucepan, simmer chicken breasts with celery, onion, thyme, salt, and pepper until tender, about 25 minutes. Remove chicken and let cool; cut in bite-size pieces or shred. Reserve 3/4 cup of broth. Discard remaining broth or freeze to use in another recipe. Break lasagna noodles in half; boil for about 5 to 8 minutes, until just a little flexible. Drain and rinse with cold water for easier handling. In a medium bowl, combine soup, tomatoes, gravy mix, and reserved broth. In a 3 1/2 to 4-quart slow cooker/Crock Pot, pour in 3/4 cup of the soup mixture. Place 4 to 6 lasagna noodle halves on top of the soup mixture. Add 1/3 of the spinach, 1/3 of the chicken, 1/3 of the mushrooms, and 1/2 cup of shredded cheese. Pour another 3/4 cup soup mixture over all. Repeat layers 2 more times, ending with remaining soup mixture. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours. If cooked too long, the noodles might become mushy, so check after about 4 1/2 hours.