Sweet and sour chicken recipe for the slow cooker, with great instructions from Don. Serve this well seasoned chicken with hot cooked rice.
- 2 to 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 2 bell peppers roughly chopped (one green, one red)
- 1 cup of broccoli florettes
- 1/2 cup of carrot chunks
- 1 large can of chunk pineapple (drain and SAVE the juice)
- 1/4-1/2 cup of brown sugar(can use reg. sugar)
- Water/wine/white grape juice/orange juice etc. as needed for extra liquid
- 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch for every cup of liquid you end up with
- hot sauce to taste, optional
- salt and pepper to taste, optional
- cinnamon, optional
- allspice, optional
- cloves, optional
- curry powder, optional
Put chicken breasts in slow cooker or crockpot. Add the onion, peppers, broccoli, and carrots
Whisk together until blended well, no lumps in sugar, liquids, spices,
and cornstarch, and sugar. Pour over chicken. If there is not enough
juice, add whichever liquid you prefer to bring up to the desired
level. (REMEMBER THOUGH: For each extra cup of liquid, stir in another
Tablespoon of cornstarch before you pour it in the slow cooker) .
Cover and cook 6 to 8 hours on LOW.
I sometimes vary the recipe, using fruit cocktail and a bit less sugar,
pineapple, or apricot preserves or orange marmalade works too. (no
cornstarch needed when you used preserves, nor sugar of course. Use
your imagination. Remember sweet and sour is basically a fruit juice
Sweet and sour chicken recipe shared by Don J.
Chicken With Honey
Crockpot Chicken with Dijon Mustard
Chicken With Pineapple