Serve this tasty well seasoned chicken with hot cooked rice and a salad for a flavorful family meal.
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- dash ground cloves
- 1/4 ground cardamom
- 3 1/2 pounds chicken pieces, skin removed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, blended with
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
In a 4 to 5-quart crockpot, combine sliced
onion, garlic, cinnamon, ginger, cumin, red pepper flakes, turmeric,
cloves, and cardamom. Rinse chicken and pat dry; arrange chicken pieces over onion mixture. Pour broth over chicken.
Cover and cook on LOW setting until meat is very tender and juices run clear
when pierced, about 6 to 7 hours.
Gently lift chicken to a warm serving dish and keep warm. Skim and
discard fat from cooking liquid, if necessary; remove and discard cinnamon
stick. Mix cornstarch with cold water; blend into cooking liquid. Increase cooker heat setting to
high; cover and cook, stirring 2 or 3 times, until sauce thickens. Add salt to taste, and pour broth over chicken. Garnish with cilantro sliced green onions.