Boneless chicken breasts are simply cooked with vegetables and herbs for a delicious slow cooker meal. Serve this chicken dish with noodles or potatoes for a fabulous everyday meal.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- 4 to 6 boneless chicken breast halves, skin removed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf tarragon
- 3 to 4 carrots, cut in 2-inch pieces
- 2 onions, halved, thickly sliced
- 2 large leeks, white part only, washed and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
Wash chicken breasts and pat dry. Set aside. Saute minced garlic in butter for a minute, then add flour and cook, stirring, until smooth. Pour in broth (you can use 1/4 cup of dry white wine or sherry in place of some of the broth), the thyme and tarragon, and stir until thickened. Layer in the Crock Pot the onions, carrots, chicken, then leeks; pour sauce over all. Add bay leaf. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 7 hours, or on HIGH for 3 to 5 hours. If cooking on low, change to high and stir in half and half and thawed peas. Cover and continue cooking on high another 15 minutes, or until peas are heated through. Taste and adjust seasonings. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Serves 4 to 6.