This tasty slow cooker stuffed chicken is made with flattened chicken breasts, sliced ham and Swiss cheese, and a homemade mushroom sauce. Serve this flavorful chicken cordon bleu style dish with hot cooked rice, noodles, or potatoes.
Yield: Serves 6
- 6 chicken breast halves, boneless, skinless - pounded to flatten slightly
- 6 thin slices ham
- 6 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour, for coating
- 1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (or use chicken broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon cool water
- salt and pepper to taste
Place a slice of ham and slice of cheese on each flattened chicken breast and roll up. Secure with toothpicks and roll each in flour to coat. Place mushrooms in the slow cooker, then the chicken breasts. Whisk together the broth, wine (if using), and rosemary; pour over chicken. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. Just before serving, remove the chicken; keep warm. To juices in slow cooker, add cornstarch mixture; stir until thickened. Salt and pepper, then taste and adjust seasonings. Pour sauce over chicken rolls and serve.