Yield: Serves 6
- 2 medium-size Granny Smith apples, cored and diced (unpeeled)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons raisins or currants
- 2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper, or to taste
- 1 can (about 14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 6 boneless chicken breast halves, skin removed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain converted white rice
- 1 pound medium to large shrimp, shelled and deveined, uncooked
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- Chopped parsley
Remove chicken to a warm plate, cover lightly, and keep warm in a 200 degree oven or warming drawer. Stir rice into cooking liquid. Increase temperature to high; cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until rice is almost tender, about 35 minutes. Stir in shrimp; cover and cook for about 15 minutes longer, until shrimp are opaque in center; cut to test.
Meanwhile, toast almonds in a small nonstick frying pan over medium heat until golden brown (5 to 8 minutes), stirring occasionally. Set aside.
To serve, season rice mixture to taste with salt. Mound in a warm serving dish; arrange chicken on top. Sprinkle with parsley and almonds.