- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 boneless chicken thighs, skin removed, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, moisture squeezed out
- 1 can chicken broth, low sodium, about 1 1/2 cups
- 3/4 cup salsa, medium
- 1/2 teaspoon jalapeno hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can stewed tomatoes or 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 bay leaf
- 2/3 cup raw brown rice
Transfer the chicken mixture to the slow cooker along with remaining ingredients. Add enough water to fill a 3 1/2- to 4-quart pot about 2/3 full. Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours. If you need to add more water before serving, turn to high to heat through.
Makes a thick soup, almost a stew consistency. It is slightly spicy.
If you want it spicier, use hotter salsa, more chili powder, more cayenne,
and/or more jalapeno sauce.
Serves 6 to 8.
Serve with a spoonful of fat-free sour cream and some chopped green onion on the soup.