Chili powder and cumin flavor this rice, beans, and vegetable chili recipe.
- 3 cups dried pinto beans or small red beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped green cabbage
- 1/2 cup diced red unpeeled potatoes
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) tomatoes with juice
- 1 or 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 5 cups water or vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- shredded cheese, Cheddar or Jack, optional
Soak beans overnight in cold water to cover. Drain. Put beans in a Dutch oven or kettle and cover with fresh water. Bring to a simmer and cook until beans are tender; drain.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil; Saute onion and garlic until soft, about 3 to 5 mins. Add bell pepper, cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes, chili powder and cumin. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, for three minutes. Transfer to slow cooker.
Add rice, water or broth, then cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours, or until chili is thick and rice and beans are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish each serving with shredded cheese if desired.