- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced, optional
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 1 can (4 ounces) mild chile peppers, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 cans (8-ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut in cubes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder, mild to medium heat
In a heavy skillet, brown the ground beef with onion, and jalapeno pepper, if using. drain off fat. Pour browned meat mixture into crockpot. Add garlic, mild chile peppers, salt, tomato sauce, ketchup, oregano, sugar, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese and chili powder.
Cover and cook on LOW for about 2 hours, until cream cheese has melted and is thoroughly blended.
Stir, taste, and adjust seasoning if desired. Serve directly from the crockpot or move to a chafing dish, with tortilla chips for dipping.