Cook Time: 6 hours
Total Time: 6 hours
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs or dried oregano
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large can (16 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 6 to 8 sandwich rolls, split and warmed
- mozzarella cheese
Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the meatballs, turning frequently, about 8 to 10 minutes in all.
Drain meatballs and transfer to a 5- to 6-quart crockpot. Combine tomato sauce and red wine; pour over meatballs. Cover and
cook on LOW for 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours. To serve, place 3 to 4 meatballs in
a split roll then top with some sauce from the crockpot. If desired, top with sliced or shredded mozzarella cheese and heat under the broiler just until cheese is melted.
Serves 6 to 8.