These Swedish meatballs are easy to prepare and cook in the slow cooker. Serve with hot cooked noodles or rice.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1 cup milk or half-and-half
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck or round
- 1/2 lb. lean ground pork, or use all beef
- 2 eggs
- 1 med. onion, chopped fine
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 1/2 oz. can condensed beef broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
Soak bread crumbs in milk for 5 minutes in a large mixing bowl. Add ground beef and pork, eggs, onion, 1 1/4 teaspoon salt, nutmeg, and allspice; mix well. Shape into 1 inch meatballs. Place meatballs on rack in broiler pan and bake for 15 minutes at 400°. Put browned meatballs in slow cooker. Add 1/2 can beef broth, pepper and remaining salt. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours. To thicken gravy, turn slow cooker to high. Combine butter and flour to make a smooth paste. Add paste to remaining 1/2 can beef broth and pour over meatballs. Cook until thickened, about 45 minutes.