- 1 pound lean ground beef (ground round)
- 1/2 pound mild bulk breakfast sausage
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 package dry mushroom or onion gravy mix (1 1/4 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon dry minced onion, or use fresh
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 cup low fat evaporated milk
- black pepper, to taste
- 6 to 8 hamburger dill pickle slices
- thin tomato slices, about 5 or 6 (reserve remaining slices for serving)
- 4 to 8 slices American cheese
Combine meatloaf ingredients, mixing gently until thoroughly mixed. Take half of the meatloaf mixture and make a ball. On a piece of aluminum foil, flatten to about 7 to 8 inches. Drizzle with mustard and ketchup to within 3/4 inch of edges. Top with dill pickle slices. Top pickle slices with halved tomato slices. Top with 4 cheese slices.
Make a ball of the remaining meatloaf mixture and flatten it on a separate piece of aluminum foil to roughly the same diameter. Place it atop the first meat/stuffing round, sealing edges with fingers.
Carefully lift meatloaf and place gently into the crockpot. Fold the excess length of aluminum foil over it. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 hours on low. Using the foil and both hands, remove to a platter and cut in wedges. Serve with fries and a salad.
Serves 6 to 8.