Yield: Serves 8 to 10
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast, about 4 to 5 pounds
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons galic powder
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
Combine the soy sauce, garlic powder, curry powder, ginger, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and 1 tablespoon of the oil. Rub the roast all over with the spice mixture.
Put 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet and cook the onions over medium-high heat until lightly browned and softened. Remove and set aside. Sear the roast in the pan on all sides, about 7 to 10 minutes in all. Put the pork roast in a 4 to 6-quart slow cooker along with the onions. Cover and cook on LOW for about 8 hours, until very tender.