Cook Time: 7 hours
Total Time: 7 hours
Yield: Serves 6
- 1 large onion, sliced or coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 boneless pork loin roast, about 2 to 3 pounds (not tenderloin)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, light or dark
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, low sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Transfer the roast and onions to the slow cooker.
In a bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Pour over the roast.
Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
Remove the roast to a pan or platter.
Skim excess fat from the sauce and pour into a saucepan. Bring to a boil on the stovetop and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is reduced and thickened, about 4 minutes. Put the roast and sauce back in the slow cooker and keep warm until serving time.
Slice and serve with potatoes and a side vegetable or serve in sandwiches with coleslaw.