Garnish this flavorful pea soup with chopped parsley and seasoned croutons.
- 1 package (1 pound) dried split peas
- 1 cup sliced carrot, 1/2-inch thick
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced parsnip
- 1/2 cup chopped celery with leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cans (approximately 14 ounces each) chicken broth, about 4 1/2 cups
- 3 cups water
- 2 large smoked ham hocks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- chopped parsley
In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine everything except ham hocks, salt, and
garnish. Add ham hocks, submerging them in mixture. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours, until peas are very soft.
Remove ham hocks and skim fat from surface of soup. Trim fat from hocks then cut meat from the bones and chop or shred; stir into the soup. Add salt to taste.
Mash slightly, if you want a thicker soup. Ladle pea soup into 6 bowls.
Garnish each serving with croutons and a little chopped parsley, if desired.
Spilt Pea Soup or Dal
Tammy's Split Pea Soup Recipe
Vegetable and Lentil Soup