Cook Time: 18 minutes
Total Time: 18 minutes
Yield: Makes 12 to 15 Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour Spoon and Sweep Method
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup buttermilk or sour milk (1/3 cup milk mixed with 1 teaspoon white vinegar)
- 1 cup finely grated carrots
- 8 ounces cream cheese, light or regular
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- milk, as needed for consistency
In a large mixing bowl with electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Beat in the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and eggs until well blended. Beat in the 1 teaspoon of vanilla and lemon extract until blended.
In another bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. Whisk to blend thoroughly. Beat about one third of the dry mixture into the creamed mixture with half of the buttermilk. Repeat with another third of the dry mixture and the remaining buttermilk. Add the remaining flour mixture, beating for about 1 minute. Stir in the grated carrots until well blended.
Fill prepared muffin cups about 2/3 full.
Bake for about 18 minutes, or until the cupcake springs back when touched lightly with a finger or a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
Cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Remove the cupcakes to a rack to cool completely before frosting.
In a large mixing bowl with electric mixer, cream the cream cheese and butter until light. Add 3 1/2 cups of confectioners' sugar and the vanilla. Beat on low speed until combined. Add enough milk as needed, for consistency, or more confectioners' sugar if too thin.
Gingerbread Cupcakes With Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
These delicious gingerbread cupcakes are topped with the included lemon cream cheese frosting, but feel free to drizzle them with a lemon glaze or top with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream.
Apple Butter Cupcakes With Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting
These wonderful spiced cupcakes make a tasty snack for any time of the year, and they're the perfect dessert for a Halloween party or birthday celebration.
Butternut Squash Cupcakes
These tasty cupcakes are a great choice for fall and winter holiday baking, and a nice alternative to pumpkin cupcakes. Make these for a Halloween party, Thanksgiving get-togethers, or have them on hand for holiday guests.