Recipe: Chocolate Espresso Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) hot brewed espresso or very strong coffee
- 1/3 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 2/3 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) sour cream, 1/3 less fat or full fat
In a small bowl, combine hot espresso, cocoa, and vanilla, stirring until smooth. Set aside to cool.
In a mixing bowl, cream butter with sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
In another bowl, combine the flour, soda, baking powder, and salt. Add about one third of the flour mixture to the batter, along with half of the sour cream. Beat until blended. Repeat with another third of the flour mixture and the remaining sour cream. Beat in remaining flour mixture. Beat in the cocoa and espresso mixture until smooth and well blended. Fill prepared muffin cups about 1/2 to 2/3 full. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Makes about 20 to 24 cupcakes. Frost with your favorite frosting or dip in a chocolate ganache.
More Cupcakes and Related Recipes
Chocolate Sour Cream Cupcakes
Peanut Butter Cupcakes and Maple Frosting
Peanut Butter Cupcakes
Cupcake Recipe Index
Cookie Recipes Index