- 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour*
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup quick rolled oats
- 1 package (8 ounces) dates, chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl; add sugar. Stir in oats and dates.
In a separate small bowl, beat egg with milk; stir in melted butter and vanilla. Add to flour mixture and stir until evenly moist.
Pour mixture into a greased 9 X 5 X 3-inch loaf pan.
Bake at 350° for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center.
Once the loaf has cooled, wrap and store overnight for best flavor.
*May omit baking powder and salt if using self-rising flour.