Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Chill: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Yield: Makes 2 cups
- 3/4 cup Meyer lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk or half-and-half
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon oil or lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until thick and light in color, then beat in the cornstarch and flour until smooth and well blended.
Whisking briskly, add about half of the hot milk mixture to the yolk mixture. Return the hot milk and yolk mixture to the saucepan and continue cooking over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is boiling. Let the mixture boil, stirring, for about half a minute. Stir in the lemon and vanilla flavorings. Spoon into a bowl and cover the surface with plastic wrap so it won't form a tough skin. Chill thoroughly and use in pastry, tart, pie, or other desserts.
Makes 2 cups.