Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: Serves 6
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut in cubes or 4 to 5 small eggplants, sliced in rounds
- 2 medium zucchini or summer squash or combination, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs tossed with 2 tablespoons melted butter
Heat the oven to 350°.
In a large skillet, saute the onion in 1 tablespoon of butter until tender. Combine the onion with the tomatoes, salt and pepper, and the drained eggplant.
Spoon half of the vegetable mixture into the prepared casserole. Top with about 2/3 of the cheese and 2/3 of the bread crumbs. Top with the remaining vegetable mixture and the remaining cheese and bread crumbs. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the topping is lightly browned and the casserole is bubbly.