Sliced eggplant takes the place of noodles in this eggplant lasagna recipe.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 2 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 (16-ounce) can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried whole oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Combine egg and milk; dip eggplant slices in mixture and dredge in
breadcrumbs to coat thoroughly. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook eggplant in 2 tablespoons hot oil in a skillet until browned; add more oil if needed.
Remove eggplant; drain on paper towels. Sauté onion and garlic in remaining oil; add tomato sauce, tomatoes, parsley, sugar, oregano, and salt. Cook over medium heat, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in chicken; remove from heat. Arrange half of eggplant slices in a 12x8x2-inch baking dish; spoon half of sauce mixture over eggplant. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses and bake an additional 5 minutes.
Eggplant casserole serves 6.
Easy Eggplant Parmesan
Stuffed Eggplant Parmesan
Eggplant Scallop Recipe
Roasted Eggplant and Tomatoes With Parmesan Cheese